Moving from child to adult services


Accessing the Adult Learning Disability Service

Because services try to work around the needs of the child and their family, young people can move from children's to adults' services at different ages. We may not currently have all the answers but to help us get there, please submit any questions and suggestions in the 'Was this page helpful?' box at the bottom of the page

Transition through Education

  • Transition 14-19 years

    • The important transition points for young people include:
    • Age 13/14 (School Year 9) - deciding what to study in Years 10 and 11.
    • Age 15/16 (School Year 11) - deciding what to do after Year 11.
    • Age 16+ (School Year 12 and above) - deciding what to do after leaving full-time education.
    • Each young person is given a Transition Plan and is treated as an individual with varying levels of achievement at school and different aspirations and ideas for the future. For more information about transition planning, what is included in the Transition Plan, and information leaflets about the further education, training and employment options available in Guernsey, please follow this link.
  • Post-16 and Lifelong Learning

    • There are a number of options available to children and young people with learning disabilities during their transition from school to their next steps on the path to adulthood:
    • All students enter Le Murier at the age of 11 on the Life Skills Pathway to develop their independence, communication and living skills.
    • Guernsey College of Further Education provides post-16 education for young people leaving school. The Access Course has been specifically designed to support school leavers to continue in education up to the age of 19 years by preparing them for future independence and employment.
    • The Guernsey Employment Trust aims to assist disabled people to prepare for, find and maintain work in Guernsey.
    • The States of Guernsey have an Education Services representative who facilitates students' inclusion through liaison with schools, colleges and agencies and who supports the availability of appropriate provision.
    • Voluntary organisations offer some employment opportunities for young people with disabilities: Grow Ltd, GO, Action for Children (tel.700218 or email and Autism Guernsey can all provide safe and secure working environments for disabled people with a range of care and support needs.
    • The Day Service can be accessed by young people who are 18+ with learning difficulties. For more information, please tel. (01481) 230026.
  • Careers Guernsey

    • Careers Guernsey is an all-age careers service providing free, impartial careers information, advice and guidance to help young people get a job.

Transition process for children on the Learning Disability Register

  • Moving to the Adult Learning Disability Services

    • The process for children on the Learning Disability Register to be considered for  the Adult Learning Disability Register begins when your child is 14 years old. The criteria for being registered on the children's register is different to the adult register, so an automatic transfer is not possible, although there is ongoing work to try to make this process more seamless in the future. There is a leaflet attached, with details of the process.
    • At present a transition panel meets, made up of managers from both paediatric and adult services, to consider which children should be put forward for registration as learning disabled in adulthood.
    • A referral is then made to the adult learning disability register panel, a team of senior professionals who can diagnose learning disability, who will consider the information provided. This panel will seek further information as required from developmental files, parents, school etc.
    • The panel members, having all the information they require, are able to decide whether your child meets the criteria for registering on the Adult Learning Disability Register.
    • Someone from the panel will contact you to inform you of the outcome of the panel meeting, either face to face or by letter depending on the age of your child.
    • If your child meets the criteria for registration, someone from adult services may begin to attend meetings about your child and begin transition work, this happens at either 14 or 16 years, depending on the severity and complexity of your child's needs. 
    • The teams will start to share information about your child's needs, undertake more formal assessments and develop a plan for a smooth transfer. You should be involved in every step.
    • There has recently been some delay in considering some children, this year a lot of work has gone in to catching up, and reducing the age at which these decisions are made. They should be made by the time your child is 14, so you can plan for the future.
    • Sometimes, children are referred who don't meet the criteria. In these cases, they will be signposted to available services, or charities that may be able to help, and sometimes, their needs have to be raised at a higher level within the organisation, if it is felt that there are not sufficient alternatives available.
    • Follow this link to find out more about Adult Disability Services.
  • Children with a sensory or physical impairment but NOT with a Learning Disability

    • The Child Development Centre (CDC) team are aware of all children with a sensory or physical impairment.
    • The CDC team will have early discussions with the Adult Disability Team to assess your child's needs moving into adulthood. Again, you will have input into these discussions.
    • It may be that you do not require any support. However, you will have had the opportunity to talk to someone in the Adult Disability Team and you can always access the service at any time in the future if you need to.
    • If your child does require ongoing support from the Adult Disability Team the planned transfer of care will be discussed with you, so that you know who to contact at any time.
  • Children requiring support from multiple services

    • For children with complex needs requiring support from a number of different services, we need to start planning from 14 years old.
    • There is a Transition Forum for service users with complex multi-agency needs. The forum meets every three months so that plans can be made that meet the needs of your child.
    • The forum is made up of representatives from: Education Services, Housing, Social Security, Health, Community and Disability Services.
    • The aim of the forum is to achieve co-ordination between services so that your child has a plan of care for the short and medium term that meets their needs and that all services adhere to.
    • The support plan will be shared with your child's lead professional currently involved in their individual care.
    • The care plan will be evaluated every six months and changes made as required.
    • You will be involved at every step and remember, there are no daft questions  - so please ask.
  • Financial support

  • Moving into supported living

    • In some cases it may be possible for your child to live in supported accommodation when they are 18 years old
    • Planning needs to start early so please visit our supported living accommodation section.
  • Support into work

    • There are a number of different work opportunities available. Please see our support into work section.
  • Day Services for adults with a learning disability

    • St Martin's Day Service offers support for adults with a learning disability. For further information, please tel. (01481) 230026.