Step two

Who to talk to.

If your child has not had a diagnosis but you feel they have additional needs or a disability, you can seek help from different people depending on your child's age.

  • If your child is under 5 years old

    • If your child is under 5 years old you can speak to your Health Visitor.
    • All families have a named Health Visitor who may visit you during the antenatal period and will always visit you following the birth of your child, usually after the midwife stops visiting.
    • The Health Visitor is knowledgeable about children's health and development and is the ideal person for you to talk to if you are concerned at any time before your child starts school.
    • Your Health Visitor will talk through your concerns with you and undertake a full assessment of your child's needs. They will include you in all decisions and discussions about your child's needs.
    • Dependent on the outcome of your child's assessment, your Health Visitor may refer to another professional, for example a Speech and Language Therapist.
    • Depending on your child's assessment you may be referred to the Child Development Centre (CDC).
    • You can contact your Health Visitor by phone, tel. 725241, or you can attend one of the weekly child health clinics. These are at the following locations and times:
      • The Vale Douzaine Room: Monday 2pm-4pm. Check accessibility here.
      • The Professor Shaw Community Centre, St Martin's: Tuesday 2:15pm-4:15pm.
      • Kindred Family Centre, Les Genats: Wednesday 9:30am-11am
      • Lukis House: Friday 10am-11:30am
  • ‚ÄčIf your child is over 5 years old

    • If your child is over 5 years old you can speak to the School Nurse Tel. 725241.
    • Like Health Visitors the School Nurse can assess your child's development and, if necessary, refer them to another professional for further assessment. They will always keep you informed about what they are doing.
    • School Nurses work in all schools from 5-18 years promoting and maintaining the health and wellbeing of school-aged pupils.
  • At any time

    • Your doctor is a good person to talk to and you can speak to your General Practitioner (GP) at any time.
    • For more information about GPs and surgeries on the Island, please follow this link.

      Do you want to go to Step three?